p: (315) 431-8419
Welcome to the homepage of the Literacy and Humanities department. Our mission is to provide professional development, instructional coaching, resources and support for teachers and instructional leaders across a wide swath of content areas, in order to improve instructional practices and educational outcomes of our students. We are passionate about fostering growth mindsets for the individual and for school cultures.
New York State English Language Arts Standards
In 2015, New York State began a process of review and revision of its current P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy . These revisions were adopted in September 2017 at the Board of Regents meeting and the phase in will take place over the next several years. Full implementation of the Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards is set for:
- Implementation Timeline
- Preface to the Next Generation P-12 Learning Standards for ELA and Mathematics
- Introduction to the Next Generation P-12 English Language Arts Learning Standards
- Introduction to the Next Generation Early Learning Standards
- ELA Learning Standards Crosswalks
- Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards
- Next Generation Grades 6-12 Learning Standards for Literacy
- Guide to Aligning Local Curricula to the Next Generation ELA Standards
Literacy Leadership serves to support the development of district and regional capacity related to the transition to the NYS Next Generation ELA/Literacy Standards. The group meets several time a year to engage in professional conversations to develop a culture of literacy and collaboration using a variety of protocols and procedures, acquire literacy/ELA information from SED, and network with other school district's literacy leaders.
Here is a list of dates for leadership meetings under the purview of the Literacy Team for you to reference.
|Group||Leadership Meeting Dates||Contact|
|Early Learning||11/9, 1/19, 5/3||Patrick
|Literacy||11/16, 3/4, 5/16 (SCDN Conference)||Lisa Schlegel|
|Social Studies||10/12, 2/18, 5/26||Kathryn